Thursday, November 12, 2009

Primera Semana

I’ve been in Las Canarias for about a week now, and I have a lot to write about. I have been very busy thanks to all of Lara’s plans for me! She wants me to meet all of her friends and do all of the things that are “so typical canary.” Last night we played volleyball on the beach until about 11. Lots of people are playing soccer, volleyball, and running on the beach until 10 or 11 at night.

I really like to see all of the runners at all times of the day. The first night we were driving back from bocadillos and a cervicita around 11-all very typical the late time for eating dinner, small sandwiches, and a half carafe of beer- and I saw lots of people running along the waterfront. I smiled, reached my hand out the window and said “amigos!” That’s how I feel, that all runners are my friends.

This past weekend we went to the South of the island, which is only about half an hour away, but this is far on such a small island. We rented a little apartment with lots of Jesi and Lara’s friends-so many that we were 7 people in 2 beds! One of the highlights is that our refrigerator talked-“la temperature es…”

The girls friends don’t really speak English, equal to what anyone who took a language in high school speaks. However, because I am here they like to say random phrases in English like “girlfriend” and point at their girlfriend, or “party, party,” “rain.” They remind me of Kerri when I was leaving for Ecuador and she was shouting random words at me like “amarillo” “bombero” “zapato.”


All of the girls’ friends are super nice. Their friend Marta took me around to some of the museums and sights in the old part of the city-casa de Colon (Columbus), CAAM (modern art), museo canario (histoy), catedral de santa ana.

The first day I was here I slept until noon and did not hear lara calling me at the house! que mala! Hector, Jesi's boyfriend started to call me the marmota, which is marmot, which in Spain I quess means you sleep a lot. It proved true on the weekend when I slept fine in a bed with 3 other girls, and took a nap with 7 other people in the room :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment