Thursday, September 8, 2011

Brussels-it will surprise you

This is the slogan of the Brussels government or tourism ministry to promote the city, and I think it’s clever. Pretty much everyone I know who has heard of Brussels, been to Brussels, or is Belgium has told me Brussels is super boring. I don’t really agree. It has rained the entire 5 days I’ve been here, but I like Brussels.


The neighborhoods are made up of narrow cobblestone streets lined with balconies, flower boxes, and bicycles. The city center has lots of well preserved French gothic architecture like old government buildings and churches, as well as many green areas of public parks. This could describe many European cities, but as Brussels is small, there is a quaintness that I enjoy.



Observations about Brussels made after 5 days (so they are definitely accurate):

It smells like waffles everywhere-the metro, outside the palace, the pub. I think it is another pretty clever play of the Brussels tourism ministry to pump the waft of waffles and chocolate into the air.

The train station and system is very confusing, and people don’t really want to help you when you ask questions.

The museums and other public tourist sites do not have lots of English explanations-French and Dutch for sure and maybe an English card on the side of some rooms, if you are lucky. This does not make me mad because I speak English and want to understand what I’ve come all the way to Europe to see. I can sort of understand the French if I want to take the time to read it because of my Spanish. However, it makes me upset for tourists from other places-I have seen a lot of Asian tourists who don’t speak French or Dutch- and they travelled halfway around the world to see these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment