Tuesday, September 13, 2011

dali

I enjoy that the museum is set up in no particular order and with little descriptions near the works, it leaves lots of room for these questions. It is also neat that Dali designed the museum himself, as this is rare for artists to have the opportunity to show their work in the way they choose. I got lost a few times and had to double back through a room, but that is also ok because everytime you see something from a new angle or for another time in the museum you have to stop in puzzlement, look again, and smile.

Is that a spoon, an egg, a penis, Gala (Dali’s wife), lips, Abraham Lincoln, a dead bird, a loaf of bread, a rhinoceros, a telephone? And in this I believe Dali has accomplished his goal.






I had been wanting to see Midnight in Paris this in the US but missed it in the theatres, so Europe being a bit behind on movies was a good thing for me as Merel and I went to see it in Amsterdam. Gil (Owen Wilson is a writer on vacation in Paris and at midnight each night he goes back to Paris in the 20's and meets all these famous writers and artists like Hemmingway, FScott Fitzgerald, Picasso, Dali.


Luis Buñuel: A man in love with a woman from a different era. I see a photograph!
Man Ray: I see a film!
Gil: I see insurmountable problem!
Salvador Dalí: I see rhinoceros!

No comments:

Post a Comment