Thursday, December 10, 2009

Backpacking it

As the four hours from Zurich to Paris drew closer to an end, I was getting so excited-I mean, Paris! Though, I also started to get a little nervous for my first hostel-it-alone experience. I have stayed in hostels and hostel-like places many times in countries like Panama, Nicaragua, and Burma-but it was always with at least one other friend. I understand how the hostel and backpacker world works, living in Tamarindo this summer was hostel/backpacker/tourist haven. I just had never really done it myself.

I soon realized that while not travelling myself, I have actually lived in an international hostel for the past 2 years-in so many ways the hostel reminded me of EF. I know the drill of waking up, walking down 4 flights of stairs, sitting at a table with people from random countries, and eating toast with nutella.

I’m actually really comfortable being with people who are speaking English in all sorts of accents, or who are not even speaking my language. More importantly, I honestly want to know where you are from, where you have been, what you do-it is not just small talk. I was super comfortable in the hostel and met lots of really cool people.

No comments:

Post a Comment