Sunday, December 6, 2009

swiss minarets

I was in Switzerland when the vote to ban minarets passed. It was absolutely bafalling to me that this issue could even be voted on. In all of the newspapers the politicians rightfully seem pretty concerned that the vote will hurt Switzerland's image in the world. There is a large very wealthy middle eastern population in Switzerland, and the concern is that the very tall minarets are a symbol of power. I heard the opinion that they were not voting to supress the religious practice in the mosques, just to not have the towering minarets in their cities. I also heard the opinion that "it's not like they're going to build a million minarets all over Switzerland if there is not a ban."

As an American traveler, I face critisms of America everyday, and I have my own criticisms as well. However, this news has made me reflect on the fact that I have been brought up in a country with ideals that have shaped me to not even be able to comprehend this being an issue to vote on. Though not perfect in practice, I do think that America holds the idea of equality high.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8385069.stm

This is what they sound like-I think it is so cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment